We Wrote the Book on Lateral Moves
The Lateral Lawyer®: Opportunities and Pitfalls for the Law Firm Partner Switching Firms, is a primer on how the lateral recruiting process really works at major firms, and a must-read for prospective lateral partners, hiring committee members, recruiting staff, and headhunters alike.
Moving from one law firm to another is the most significant career decision most attorneys ever make.
In this comprehensive but readable book, seasoned legal recruiter Adam S. Weiss guides law firm partners—and aspiring partners—through the recruiting process at major firms.
Using example situations and the experience gained from almost three decades as a lawyer and legal recruiter, the author explains exactly how you can receive the best possible lateral offers by creating the perfect market: one where firms compete for your practice.
some top questions
Actionable Advice for Lateral Partners
The Lateral Lawyer addresses the following questions, among many others:
- Why is it a mistake to play hard-to-get with firms? (p. 32)
- What does “platform” really mean, and why should this matter to you? (p. 7)
- How does a recruiter help you establish a strong negotiating posture? (p. 24)
- What due diligence items are lateral attorneys asked to furnish? (p. 52)
- Which 5 talking points should you always mention in interviews? (p. 59)
- What are the top 6 questions you will be asked in interviews? (p. 62)
- What are 5 safe questions you can ask during interviews? (p. 64)
- What are 3 top interview pitfalls—and how can you avoid them? (p. 66)
- When should you discuss compensation? (p. 34)
- What 4 “tough” questions should you ask only after receiving an offer? (p. 72)
The Lateral Lawyer, a Guide for Partners
“This book is a must-read, not only for law firm partners, but also for big law associates, as well as recruiting professionals. [C]overs everything — from how to choose a legal recruiter, to what goes into identifying the right platform for a partner looking to make a move, to negotiating the best possible offer(s), and literally everything in between. . .[W]ell worth the time to read — it could change the whole course of your career.”
order the book
Make Your Move
Copies of The Lateral Lawyer (108 pages, paperback) are available from Lateral Lawyer Group or Amazon for $14.95. Purchases through Lateral Lawyer Group include shipping and applicable sales tax.
Lateral Lawyer™ Group will happily send you a free PDF excerpt from The Lateral Lawyer upon your request to our general address: [email protected].